Wednesday, December 7, 2011

Caves Are Cool

School is plugging along, and though I’ve become a little more used to the system here, I am still facing the same challenges I faced a few weeks ago.  Even with a Thai teacher in the classroom, most of the older kids have no interest in listening to what I have to say, so I’ve resorted to writing stuff on the board, walking around the classroom telling them to ‘copy, copy, copy’, and hoping they retain some of the information when I give them a mid-term in three weeks.  My special language classes, teacher training class, and kindergarten classes are good for the most part; it’s only my high school classes that are difficult, and unfortunately, I have a lot of them.  Silly bands and scratch-and-sniff stickers are pretty good rewards for the more attentive students in class, but for the majority, I’m just rolling with it, trying not to strain my voice in the process. 

I’m learning key Thai vocabulary/phrases on a daily basis, and have picked up a good bit along the way, even surprising myself sometimes.  I had a defining moment in my language class when I attempted to separate two boys who wouldn’t stop talking.  I pointed to one of them, said his name, pointed to a chair closer to me, and said, “Mah ti-ni, yudt ti-ni”, which essentially means, “Come here and stay/stop here.”  One of the other boys in the class said, “Ahhh, teacher speak Thai.”  My response to him?  “Chi kah, nidt-noi” (Yes, a little).  I patted myself on the back for that one :-D

Last weekend, a bunch of us headed to Hua Hin for the three-day holiday weekend.  Alex and Katie had a friend visiting from England (Chloe), and the three of them picked up Audrey, our friend Kelsie (who is also teaching in Chonburi), and me for the 5 hour drive.  Traffic is absolutely awful in Thailand, and coupled with a holiday weekend and having to drive through Bangkok…it was a long ride.  Another friend from our program, Sarah, met us in Hua Hin, bringing our total number to seven for the weekend.
 
On Saturday, Alex and Katie started their three-day kite surfing lesson; as you can see, it’s a perfect place for the sport.  I am dying to try it, but still couldn’t go in the water because of my foot, so I’ll have to do it another time.


Kelsie, Sarah, and Audrey went to Khao Sam Roi Yot NationaI Park, and Chloe hung out on the beach all day.  I hit the beach in the afternoon, but planned a half-day morning trip to a nearby town called Phetchaburi.  Phetchaburi had been on my radar for a while; the first stop was Phra Nakhon Khiri Historical Park.  Set high up on a mountain (you have to take a tram to get to it), the palace was established by King Rama IV in 1859 (http://www.thailandbuddy.com/travel/province/phetchaburi/Phra-Nakhon-Khiri-Historical-Park.html)




There are a million monkeys running around freely


He looks like he's thinking, "Don't steal my spotlight Shorty!"



Next, I went to Khao Luang cave. I was really excited to see this cave, and the pictures say it all.  The structures in the cave are massive; so cool!  Apparently, Nicholas Cage filmed part of a movie here called ‘Bangkok Dangerous’ (one star in America; five stars in Thailand).





Sunday, Sarah, Kelsie, and Audrey went back to Khao Sam Roi Yot, and this time I joined them.  The park is made up of caves, beaches, wildlife, and mountain scenery (the name means ‘300 Peaks’).  We had a vigorous one-hour hike up to the Phrayanakhon Cave; it was a good workout.


The view during our hike (see all of the peaks?)


Making friends


Hard to tell but we are actually inside of the cave here


The nightlife in Hua Hin was pretty much like the nightlife in a lot of areas in Thailand…old white men trying to pick up young Thai women/prostitutes. It’s really, really sad; I can only stand to be in that environment for so long before I call it a night.  I don’t think I even took one picture at the bars.

We have another long weekend this weekend (something like Constitution Day), and I am taking my first flight in Thailand up to Chiang Rai in the north.  There are several other people going this weekend and doing a three-day excursion, but I really want to see Phu Chi Fah mountain, which isn’t offered on the tour booked by the others.  I think a few others are up for seeing the mountain, but I guess I’ll find out when I get there.  I’m really looking forward to checking out this town; the north of Thailand is supposed to be really beautiful.  Until next time….Sawatdee kah!