Monday, October 24, 2011

Hot Hot Heat in Bangkok

And I’m not talking about these guys



After a LONG, sleepless 27 hour journey, I landed in Bangkok on Saturday the 22nd and was greeted by 80 degree heat and humidity the second I walked off of the plane.  At 7am.  Yowza.  After claiming my luggage, going through customs, and purchasing a Thai SIM card for my iPhone, I took a taxi to the orientation hotel, checked into my room, and immediately hit the shower (best.feeling.ever).  I picked up my orientation packet at 10am and decided to walk around town with a couple of girls on the program.  The orientation hotel isn’t exactly in the center of Bangkok unfortunately; conversely, it’s on the outskirts of the city, and there isn’t much to see/do.  The girls decided to hit the pool after our 20 minute walk, so I cabbed it solo to the Chatuchak Market, the biggest weekend market in Bangkok.  This place is massive and literally has anything and everything you could possibly want; furniture, pets, clothing, trinkets, and yes, even flat irons!  I had my first official Thai meal here too…BBQ chicken and rice and a bowl of soup.  This meal cost me a little over $1.00.

Let me know if anyone wants one of these little guys for their mantel




After spending 2.5 hours shopping at the market, I hopped in another cab and headed to Khao San Road (http://www.khaosanroad.com/). Khao San Road is pretty well known among backpackers and tourists, mostly for its street vendors, cafes, and lively nightlife. 




Not unlike Rocky at the Philly Art Museum steps, one has to get their picture with Ronald ‘doing the wai’




At 2:00 in the afternoon on a Saturday, Khao San was already pretty hopping, so I will definitely be going back there for a night out soon. My goal this day, though, was simply to stay awake until 8pm so I could get my body on Thai time.  After two Thai foot massages (a-mazing), I decided I couldn’t keep my eyes open any longer and headed back to the hotel by 6:00.  My orientation roommate had arrived, and just as exhausted as I, we called it a night at 8pm.  Sleep was never so welcomed.

Orientation started on Sunday and I’ll update soon about our busy week.  Until next time.…Sawatdee!